How Rat Poison Is Dangerous to Dogs and Cats

Animal ERs and veterinary stations have to deal with pet poisoning, especially during the autumn and winter. During these seasons, the temperature begins to decline, and the food bounty from the summer starts fading away. The rats and mice start searching for food and shelter in homes. The easiest method to deal with this is to use rodenticides. However, our pets- cats or dogs tend to take the bait in best protection for dogs available.

Dogs get attracted to the bait through the smell, similar to how the rodenticide attracts rats. Cats, on the other hand, do not get tempted to eat the set bait. They get poisoning by eating poisoned mice and rats.After the rat or mice feeds on the poison, they tend to get slower and sick. Thus, cats can catch them easily. At this time, the poison is still active, and the cat gets poisoned as well. A few hours or days later, your healthy dogs or cats begin bleeding. The signs depend on the poison which your pet fed on.

Common rodenticide poisons and signs you should look for in your pet

1.            Anticoagulant rodenticides (ACR)

These poisons work by inhibiting the body from producing vitamin-K, which is responsible for blood clotting. Therefore, if your cat or dog ingests this in high amounts, it could result in internal bleeding. The symptoms may take averagely four days to show.Signs include; lethargy, pale or bleeding gums, vomiting with blood, coughing, bloody nose, and difficulty in breathing.  The veterinary will treat your pet using a Vitamin K1 decontamination, a dosage that goes for a month. Other treatments could be in the form of blood or plasma transfusions.

2.            Bromethalin

It is commonly confused with ACR poisons; however, unlike ACR, there is no antidote for these poisons. The effect of ingesting Bromethalin is swelling of the brain, medically known as cerebral edema.

Signs include tremoring, vomiting, lethargy, anxiety, coma, walking drunk, and at the last death. The treatment takes various remedies, such as administering activated charcoal, inducing vomiting supportive care, and anti-seizure medication.

3.            Cholecalciferol

Among other rodenticides, it is the most lethal. Ingesting it even in the tiniest amount could result in severe poisoning for your healthy dogs or cats. The poison works by increasing the amount of calcium, Vitamin D3 in the body, which leads in kidney failure. Unfortunately, it has no antidote. Treating it could be expensive as the pet will have to be hospitalized for therapy and monitoring.

Signs include weight loss, lethargy, anorexia, tremors, kidney failure, increased or decreased urination, and death. Since the poisoning is severe, treatment includes aggressive IV fluids and medications that will reduce the calcium levels. Blood tests have to be regularly conducted for monitoring.

Final Verdict

If you are a pet lover, you are probably wondering how to deal with a mouse plague. If you insist on using baits, consider placing them in areas where you are sure the pets have no access to. Also, check your pets daily to see if they have any signs of poisoning. In case you notice any of the symptoms above, consider checking in with a vet. Also, we strongly recommend you to adopt using traps rather than rodenticides.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *